Welcome!

Be sure to sign-up for our FREE newsletter and keep up to date on the latest strategies for EXTREME savings!

Subscribe via RSS or email

HomeScan NCP
Grocery Coupon Network
SmartSource
Coupons.com
Red Plum
24 Hour Fitness
Thursday, June 21, 2012

Food Plan Budgets - Where does your family fit in?



I was looking at the latest USDA Food Plans Cost of Food and was doing some figuring based on their numbers and my own family size to see how my EXTREME couponing food budget compares.  
For my family size (which is quite large!), we have 2 adults and 5 children (still at home).  The "Thrifty" Plan  estimates that a family of my size would be $226.35 - $251.50 per week.  While the "Moderate" Plan estimates $374.22 - $415.80 per week.  Nearly DOUBLE!  

I was afraid to even calculate the "Liberal" Plan!  (But I did just for the heck of it!)  The "Liberal" Plan for my family size was a whopping $446.49 - $496.10 per week!  Holy cow!!!  THANKFULLY, I am not any where near those numbers!!!(Not even pre-couponing days!)

When I am very disciplined about shopping for only sales and using my coupons, I am actually lower than the "Thrifty" Plan by $75 - $125 per week. Depending on what I am shopping for in any given week, that may fluctuate between the higher and the lower of the numbers.  On average, with coupons and sales, I spend $150 - $200 per week for my family of seven (7), plus our pets.  When I strayed away from couponing from time to time, that number would be around the "Moderate" Plan, but thankfully NOT as high as the "Liberal" Plan!  I couldn't imagine having that much of our family budget "eaten" up!  (Pun intended!)

This got me thinking.....where does your family fit into these plans?  Are you on target?  Would you like to trim more from that part of your budget and free that money up for other things?   Couponing can and will provide that opportunity to your family, if done diligently and with a strategic plan!  The good news is you can start TODAY!  Check out my Couponing 101 Series to learn how to cut your family's food budget by 50% or more!

Each week I will be adding additional lessons designed to help you become an "expert" couponer.   Make your piggy bank smile!





0 comments:

Cellfire
EverydayFamily.comFamilyFun247086_TV episodes & movies instantly streaming from Netflix. Start your FREE trial!Pampers
Doggy Loot

Coupon Lingo

GM - General Mills Sunday Insert
PG - Proctor & Gamble Sunday Insert
RP - RedPlum Sunday Insert
SS - SmartSource Sunday Insert
U - Unilever Sunday Insert
RR - Register Rewards
ECB - Extra Care Bucks
OOP$ - Out Of Pocket Money
MIR - Mail in Rebate

Post Topics

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
24850_be a Black Friday insider to get a sneak peak at the deals!

Printable Coupons